Seniors: It’s important to be as organized as possible during the application process. Having the information you need at your fingertips saves lots of time and stress when you are filling out your college applications.
Set up a file on your computer for important information for your college applications. Keep a sheet of all of this information in an accessible place as well:
- Your Log-in name and password for Naviance/Family Connection
- A list of your log-in information and password(s) for the Common Application and any online college applications
- Your social security number
- Name and address of your high school
- Name and contact information of your guidance counselor
- Copy of your transcript with a listing of all courses you have taken in high school
- Copy of your activities list
- File for your personal statement(s) and short essay answers
- Name(s) and contact information (including e-mail) of teachers who will write your letters of recommendation
- Information about your parents’ college experiences including name of college, years of attendance and degrees earned
- Names and dates of attendance of any immediate family members, relatives, and friends who have attended any of the colleges to which you are applying
- Copy of the Common Application so that you can be familiar with it before filling it out online.
- The ID number assigned to you by each college once they receive your application, needed to track the status of your online application
- Names and dates of personal contacts you make at each school when you visit the campus or attend a college fair
- Notes from your college visit or contact
Remember to back up your computer regularly so that you do not lose important information. This is good practice for college as well! And finally, before sending any applications, preview/print out a copy and proofread it carefully. Save information for a younger sibling who will be applying in future years.